Yesterday as I sat at a coffee shop in the middle of a rainstorm I made a call for some advice and inspiration. I need to find a way to make an income. I have put 26 years of my life into my family. Now I have the time and there is a need for me to give in a different way. How do you write down your "job" experience on a application? Well, let's see, I managed a household, homeschooled for 21 years and I'm a great cook. Degree, ummm, an early childhood teaching credential,working to put my husband through school and my years of experience in the home have to count for something....don't they?
I applied for a job at a clothing sore last year and the manager said I was shy. Okay so I hid behind my mother's dress when I was 4, I'm over that, right? I catered for a while. It was hard work and I enjoyed some of it but it's really tough to do something and not feel your time is valued. Ironically, I'm encouraging one of my sons to get a job, any job. I'm trying to encourage him not to be picky but to be willing to do what he needs whatever it takes to make some money.
I'm hoping that it's okay for me to be picky at 51. I did the jobs that didn't pay well but paid my insurance and phone bill etc.. Drive through cashier at Burger King, birthday clown at Farrel's, pre-school teacher, waitress,house cleaning and running a natural foods store, I even started my own gluten-free baking business. Now what?
DON'T over-think it!
What the hell does that mean? This was the advice given to me by my entrepreneur son, the Rogue Chef. As I allowed this thought to sit with me yesterday, this is what I came up with.
Just Do It! Just throw yourself into everything you love. Take every opportunity to volunteer, take a class, visit museums, read books etc. and talk to people about what you love. Blog about it and read blogs about it. Don't let life at home keep you from pursuing an opportunity. They get it. I'm lucky to have a supportive family. There are times I back away and freeze up not sure of my self, wanting to hide behind those skirts again. Here's where I need to be harder on myself and push myself, not to hide behind my family but allow all that is there to encourage me to move forward.
DON'T over-think it!

No comments:
Post a Comment