In one of Anne Lamott's books I remember a humorous story where she is riding an elevator to her hotel room returning from the beach. She is in her forties,I think, and there are several teens with their blossoming perfect bodies in the elevator with her. They are all wearing bikinis including Anne. The young shapely women were not sending positive vibes out to Anne and her body was taking note. As she returned to her room she spoke kindly to her body acknowledging how well it has served her. The funny thing was it didn't seem like the young girls really appreciated themselves. They were critical of Anne's more mature body and yet there was an obvious lack of confidence in themselves.
Photo taken by Sean Burke
As I witness the beautiful unfolding of the young women in my life I see this tendency to be self critical comes all too easy. In my 50's I want to be set free here too. Free to adore myself and to be thankful for the strength and energy I have. My beauty is increased when I am real,passionate and congruent which allows a natural glow to warm your face.
I met the most beautiful woman this summer at a strawberry stand. She was selling me delicious berries with a warm smile and a beautifully patinaed face. I won't forget her. I love the "patina" of old buildings. The rust, worn paint and old hinges all add to their beauty. When I stop and take a breath and really consider my aging, I appreciate and love this body which holds the essence of me. Patina, wrinkles and me, Yes!

And though it goes without saying, your beautiful body has served you very well!
ReplyDelete